I wonder if you could address some of the "I feel lost" problems by
displaying tick marks in or near the scrollbar at every point that
the user stops scrolling.  So if you see one full page, then scroll
down, the size and position of the scrollbar thumb may change, but
you could add a permanent tick mark that would maintain its relative
position.   In this way I wonder if you could at least maintain some
context to where you've been and how much you've already seen.
Perhaps a way to bookmark the ticks to allow a way to jump back might
be another idea.

Why am I saying this?  Because as distracting as it is now to use it,
I think it could be a much more natural interface paradigm, if it can
be implemented correctly.   Does anyone remember when dropdown menus
were new, and they were all kludgy and awkward?  Thats where I think
the infinite scroll is right now.

Brian