Paul, I think your example speaks more to a lack of professionalism on
the part of the previous agency than an inherent conflict of interest.

At my firm, Lofthouse Design, we have always conducted usability
testing on the sites and applications we design. In doing so, we find
opportunities to improve the product we deliver to our clients -- and
we do not take any criticism as an attack on our design skills.

For example, we recently tested an online enrollment application with
a sample of Medicare-age seniors. Although no users complained, we
observed first-hand that users struggled to use standard form
controls like radio buttons. They spent unnecessary time and effort
trying to click on a small target.

Based on this observation, we identified an opportunity to improve
the usability of basic form controls. We created a set of custom UI
elements that visually highlight whenever the user mouses over any
part of the radio button or its label, creating a much bigger target
for the user to click.

Had we not conducted the user testing ourselves, we may not have seen
such a subtle usability problem -- nor could we have come up with an
innovative design solution as we did in this case.

Hope this example helps.