Dave--

I think it's great that you're asking this question.

A lot depends on where you work. Especially in small entrepreneurial teams
or in larger organizations that are new to interaction design, it's rare for
group design work to occur since there's only one designer.

As my team's only IxD -- probably the only IxD in all of Boston's hospitals,
unfortunately -- I typically do my design work independently with frequent
group review.  I will occasionally organize group sessions so that
developers and managers can exchange idea. Sometimes I head to the
whiteboard with a developer to hash out the details of a complex UI
component. Do those count?

It may be worth some formal ethnographic research about how IxDs practice in
the field.

-Jon