---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Sam Ladner <samlad...@gmail.com>
Date: Sun, Jan 3, 2010 at 11:36 PM
Subject: Re: [anthrodesign] Norman replies to Nussbaum
To: anthrodes...@yahoogroups.com

Hi Arvind,

> *scratches head*
>> so, according to norman, we needed healthcare after doctors were invented?
>> or transportation after wheels were invented? or democracy after governments
>> were invented?
>>
>>  I have to agree as well. I confess I don't have very strong opinions on
this post because I think it partly was in the spirit of provocation, and
not passionate belief. If that were its intent, it certainly worked!

When I think about the thesis that true disruptive innovation comes from
radical designs in engineering, all I can think about is Whyte's ridiculous
thesis that the invention of the stirrup changed the political economic
history of Europe. This is technological determinism, plain and simple.

What Norman misses (and I'm pretty sure he really knows to be true) is that
disruptive innovation is not about the artifact itself but the temporal,
social, economic, and political context of the innovation. This is what
Latour meant when he said that artifacts are IRREDUCIBLE to any other
artifact. This is what Heidegger meant when he said that we are products of
our "attachments" and "involvements."

Can you "design" a particular social, economic, and political context for a
new innovation to be taken up within? Absolutely! That is what good
ethnography does is understand the social, economic and political space.
Good ethnographers understand how that space functions, and how artifacts
fit within that space.

Simple "design research" on the other hand, looks at the artifact and its
social context. Its conclusions are typically focused primarily on the
artifact's design, not that of the social context. So it's valuable, yes,
but effective? All encompassing? Disruptive? Sometimes, maybe with a little
luck.

I personally am way more interested in designing the social context, through
the use of building social capital, for example, or by empowering people
with little voice in social / design charettes.

--
~~~~~
Sam Ladner, PhD

   - New
Members<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anthrodesign/members;_ylc=X3oDMTJmc2tqYXRmBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc2NjUyMzAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNDQ5BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZtYnJzBHN0aW1lAzEyNjI1MzMwMzA-?o=6>
   4

 Visit Your
Group<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anthrodesign;_ylc=X3oDMTJlOHMzMnZyBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc2NjUyMzAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNDQ5BHNlYwN2dGwEc2xrA3ZnaHAEc3RpbWUDMTI2MjUzMzAzMA-->
Start
a New
Topic<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anthrodesign/post;_ylc=X3oDMTJldmhiZTFnBF9TAzk3MzU5NzE0BGdycElkAzc2NjUyMzAEZ3Jwc3BJZAMxNzA1MDgzNDQ5BHNlYwNmdHIEc2xrA250cGMEc3RpbWUDMTI2MjUzMzAzMA-->
 MARKETPLACE

Going Green: Your Yahoo! Groups resource for green
living<http://us.ard.yahoo.com/SIG=14kqhtolc/M=493064.13814333.13821539.13298430/D=groups/S=1705083449:MKP1/Y=YAHOO/EXP=1262540230/L=/B=KSOahkPDhE8-/J=1262533030871150/K=BIVFUipSe0G5TrYLa4lmHA/A=5922843/R=0/SIG=11ckn2mo6/*http://advision.webevents.yahoo.com/green/>
  [image: Yahoo!
Switch to:
Text-Only<anthrodesign-traditio...@yahoogroups.com?subject=change+delivery+format:+Traditional>,
Daily