Hello,

In table views (grids), our CRM web app indicates the column that provides the
sorting order by inserting a little A-z or Z-a icon. The app remembers the
columns that provide the secondary and tertiary sorting order but does not
indicate them in any way on the interface. When designing the interface, we
took it as a deliberate decision.

Now we have a few users who want to see which columns provide the secondary and
tertiary sorting order. I looked through the pattern libraries but did not find
anything. I also searched the web.

So far, I have these options:

1. Lighter gray of the triangle indicating the secondary sort order column -
http://www.haiku-os.org/docs/userguide/en/attributes.html.

2. Numbers in the indicators -
http://seriss.com/people/erco/fltk/tmp/sort-arrows.png

3. Arbitrary color - http://www.flickr.com/photos/msimov/4290040510/

I do not particularly like any of these options. Neither is a natural indicator
– users need additional information to understand what the images, colors, or
numbers mean. I will appreciate suggestions and/or links to information.

Has someone tested how users react to multiple sort-order indicators in a grid?

Regards

Dimiter Simov

Lucrat Ltd.  <http://www.lucrat.net/> www.lucrat.net

Netage Solutions Inc.  <http://www.netagesolutions.com/> www.netagesolutions.com