Martin,

I think the academic model is only one model for teaching and raising
teachers. It is very prevalent but not the only one.

I would like to include a piece of the discussion around the
difference btw building a body of knowledge and doing research in the
academic sense.

And! is education of design always about vocational preparation in
all settings?

I'm with Susan though. For the last 15 years from the very first CHI
ever went to the gap btw traditional academics and practice in
industry has been and remains to be HUGE. It is not emerging. It is
THERE! I think Peter Merholz' latest article speaks to just that.
(http://bit.ly/6bMBFc)

At the core here is the conflict btw the tenure system and vocational
education and the expectation by employers that all education have
direct practical application.