Good Morning All,

Interesting conclusion on why searchers click on results Jennifer. Many
studies (Pew Internet Trust being the most famous) point to the assumption
on the part of searchers that they click on results based on an assumption
that the search engine has served up the most relevant result in a certain
order. So quality is presumed before consideration of the actual result. I
agree that result descriptions are an important factor both in relevance
ranking (presence of search terms) and in support of the searchers scan to
find the search terms in context (hits highlighting). Regardless of
metaDescription though, those top three results get all of the attention.

For me, the ROI of faceted search is found in allowing searchers who have a
vague idea of what they need to know in order to find what they need to find
the ability to refine their results, not their search, but the results that
appear. Results refinement supports awareness that enhances discovery. In
essence, they take less time to search with greater success. The greater
success using search increases its use that further diminishes time spent
searching across the system. Of course, all of this is dependent on the
facets themselves. Out of the box facets in most enterprise systems and
those found on Google are not that helpful in my estimation as they
superficially represent document features instead of contents. But, give me
a rockin' search engine like FAST ESP and I'm sold.

Kudos to Marti Hearst for her book. It is a fantastic resource. I can only
hope it inspires us to think more as much about the design of search
interfaces as we do the site itself.

Just one gal's opinion...

marianne
Daedalus Information Systems