Jan,
Although I can understand the draw of the West Coast, don't write
off some of the opportunities on the East Coast! I earned my Master
of Design degree from Carnegie Mellon University, and I was lucky
enough to spend two of the most rewarding/ intense /sleep-deprived
years of my life there.

When I was researching schools, I had crystal clear focus on what I
wanted out of a program. I picked CMU because of how well it matched
my goals.  I urge you to do the same. Articulate exactly what you
want to be expert in at the end of the program, and then find a
program that matches that. Be much less concerned about "where" but
more on "how" and "what" you will learn. Most programs have unique
strengths, and knowing what you want out of it will make the time,
energy and money spent that much more worthwhile.

Also, as to your points about Photoshop, Illustrator, Flash...many
Master programs I know of require a pretty intense working knowledge
of these tools upon entry to the program. The tools themselves are
much more a means to an end, and not the purpose of the programs. But
because much of design is "learning by doing," I definitely learned
these tools backward and forward during my time there. So, if
learning the tools is more your goal, I imagine certificate programs
may be a better route.

Good luck!