@susan Thanks for your feedback. Cases like the one you've mention
really concern me, but am unclear as to how often these frustrations
occur. I'd like to say that even one case is one too many and that
the business should shoulder the responsibility of any errors -
system or user.

@stephen Totally agree with your point on the business being a
stakeholder. The 'clean data' and 'address correction costs' Pros
are already on the table and have no objection from me. I'm just
concerned that, other than the license price, the Cons may not have
been fully considered. If the ux and completion rates are affected by
the verification system, I'd like to raise the business's awareness
of this risk and allow them to make an informed decision - how many
lost memberships would invalidate the benefits of cleaner data?
Ideally, we would be able to design a solution that uses the
verification system and only enhances the ux. Your suggestions may be
a good way to move toward that goal.

Thanks both for taking the time. If anyone else has any experience,
insights or opinions on this topic, I'd be keen to hear them.

Marcus