mherger;551571 Wrote:
> > I think it's time for a concerted community effort to copy/mirror the
> > forums, bugzilla, wiki, and svn source code repository just in case.
> > Each of these resources is only an email away from a similar fate.
>
> Too early to panic. I see no reason why even the most ... manager would
>
> want to pull a revision control system or bug database.

Michael, I just think some of us are a bit worried about how committed
Logitech management are regarding these community sites (forum and
wiki). As you suggests, the bugzilla and svn repossitory are of course
going to remain, but they could be closed for community access. Chris
has already earlier mentioned that the idea of closing bugzilla has
been discussed within Logitech.

I'm mostly worried about the forum and wiki, especially if something
happens with the servers unintentionally and someone decides that it's
not cost effective to fix the problem. The fact that there doesn't seem
to be any link to them from the official Logitech pages indicates to me
that the commitment to keep these pages available in the future isn't
too high. It kind of seems like Logitech might want to direct new users
to http://forums.logitech.com instead. It could of course also just be
that all the links haven't been added yet.

I understand that you and the other developers will try to do
everything you can to avoid that anything happens with these sites, I'm
just worried that no one from Logitech management seems to care, at
least they don't show that they care in the public.

Yes, I understand that Logitech is a big corporation and it might be
unreasonable that the management spend time announcing their strategy
regarding the community, but it still worries me a bit. If your
management would be a little visible on these forums, all these worries
and rumors could be easily avoided.

I think neither me or Peter is about to panic yet, so far we are just
thinking about what options we have to make 100% sure that the valuable
information on the forums and wiki will be available in the future even
if Logitech decides to decrease their involvement in the community.

It should be said, that I've no indication that Logitech is about to
decrease their involvement in the community besides the fact that there
are less Logitech resources posting in the forum today than a year ago.
I understand that the reason for this is mainly(only?) caused by the
fact that their are less Logitech employees working with Squeezebox
today than a year ago.

My hope is that all our worries are completely unnecessary.

--
erland

Erland Isaksson
'My homepage' (http://erland.isaksson.info) (Install my plugins through
Extension Downloader)
Custom Scan,  Custom Skip, Multi Library, Title Switcher and Database
Query plugins'
(http://wiki.erland.isaksson.info/index.php/Category:SlimServer))