regardless of buffering techniques: if the (average) download rate is
too slow for the content to be streamed one will get into the
playing/buffering cycle in any case.
I think it wouldn't matter if the cycle is each second or every 5
seconds. It annoys the user and one just cannot stream if the bandwidth
is not high enough.
No fancy technique will circumvent it.

With buffer sizes one can only manage to accomodate for short
variations of bandwidth.
Right now SqueezePlayer uses the following buffer sizes:
- audiobuffer:  1,7MB (44100 * 2 /*channel*/* 2 /*bytes*/* 10
/*seconds*/ )
- download-buffer: 1MB (this will be 1min of 128kB/sec mp3)

So when buffers are filled, SqueezePad can play up to 1minute of
128kB/sec mp3 when the bandwidth goes down. 1 minute !

On Android one cannot use larger buffers, as Apps are very restricted
by the OS regarding memory allocations.
But actually these are really huge buffers already: if something does
not play with these buffers, then the bandwidth is just not high enough
or there are insane variations in the download speed.

> After a few more tests, I think that the problem appears if the buffer
> goes empty while playback regardless of why. Then as soon as a piece of
> data is written on it, that piece is immediately consumed for playback
> leaving the buffer empty again.

When SqueezePlayer faces a buffer underrun, it typically waits for
391680 bytes in the audiobuffer to be filled again (this is 2 seconds
with 2channel 44kHz). For FLAC files it even waits 1000000 bytes
(5seconds at 44kHz).

IF the stream is downloading fast enough this should be enough of a
headstart, to allow for robust streaming. If not - well - as said - not
technique will help then in my opinion.

--
bluegaspode

Did you know: *'SqueezePlayer' (www.squeezeplayer.com)* will stream all
your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? *'Squeezebox + iPad =
SqueezePad ' (www.squeezepad.com)*
Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why
not try my 'Weather Forecast Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=73827)
Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my
'Headphone Switcher Applet'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=67139)