Hi  - I think I may have locked myself out using ssh via putty. I tried
to login to root using variation of the password piCore and now when I
putty in the screen doesn't prompt me for a login anymore. I see I have
to use the Id "tc" and the pwd piCore.

I'm guessing there must be a timeout value that I have to wait before I
can try and log in again.

Your suggestions makes a lot of sense. I had the drive mounted on a
different OS runeaudio.com and used samba to share it. I used my windows
pc (7) to burn a disk to the drive.

My ideal setup is to leave the drive permanently connected to the Pi and
share it so I can use software on my PC to rip Cds to the drive on the
Pi

Thanks for your help!

Steve