"fmayhar"
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote in message news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

> Listen, I don't need to "walk through all the basics" since I've already
> done that.  Unlike many who may post to boards like this, I'm a software
> engineer with literally years of experience dealing with networks,
> including wireless networks.  I know what I'm doing and I didn't post
> until I was positive that it wasn't the wireless network itself, having
> exhausted all potential problems (and their solutions) there.  It has to
> be either in the SB3 itself, a distinct possiblity, or in something to
> do with the interaction of the server and the SB3.

Not necessarily.  Your laptop is in a different spot, doing differnet things
with different hardware than the Squeezebox.  Again, your experience mirrors
my own; I had no problems with my laptop 12 feet away from the bridge.  But
the laptop was using a different wireless card, was 12 feet away from
potential sources of interference and reflection/refraction/multipath
(again, metal enclosures?) and "ping" is not the same thing as streaming
audio.

It may well be the SB3; as suggested elsewhere, a loose card or antenna
connection or a downright flaky card; but it also may be interference.  It
is almost certainly not the protocol stack.  And as a software engineer
myself with years of experience with networks, wireless networks, and
networking protocols, including implementing, troubleshooting, and downright
beating on protocol stacks, I humbly suggest that "software engineer" and
"RF engineer" are two different animals.  You are getting good advice in
this thread.

Ed
[EMAIL PROTECTED]