Kyle wrote:
Thanks, everyone, for your help.  Skunk, your suggestion led to a
solution.  After doing the reinstall, I realized that the problem must
be in the way the art files were being handled by Windows.  I went back
to control panel>folder options>file type and selected jpeg and hit the
advanced button. There's a box to check to "always show extension." That was the key. I had manually renamed my files "cover.jpg", and
after hitting that box, they became "cover.jpg.jpg."  So when I removed
the middle .jpg and did a rescan, the artwork showed up.  Had to change
130 files, but at least I hadn't already done 'em all.  I'll reset the
naming option on Tag&Rename, so the files should be good as I download
the rest.  I hate to think how much time I spent working out this one
small problem, but that's computers ...

The value in this is that we've all been reminded of one feature (I shut it off as one of the first things I do after an instal) that cause hidden side effects. Next time someone has the problem, this is one more thing they can check and so you'll save other people time.

Thanks for posting your end solution.
-kdf