not sure how you figure that running a port scanner is more likely to
get you fired than manually testing the same thing one port at a time.

Not likely either will get you fired, I would hope.  It's totally
passive.  The more 'intense' scanners also look for any software or
possible exploits on any open port that could be used for unfriendly
purposes.  It's a little harder to explain to your IT Security folk why
your running something like this on your network.

Also, If you port scan from the outside and you can get in on a port,
you can be almost 100% sure you will also get out on it.  However, when
you scan from the inside, you might find a way out but depending how the
packets get wrapped up, your application might still need a swinging
door back in and sometimes a firewall blocks incoming only.  If it gets
treated as a return packet from an internal request, it won't matter
much and it will be allowed back in.  Some server apps on the outside
though need to be able to establish a session from thier end.  IN this
case, your firewall has to let 'strange' packets in on that port.

Sorry, I got wrapped up in the argument but that doesn't help you at
all.  Sounds like you are ready to roll anyways.

Some places even frown against streaming audio as it chews up bandwidth
when half the staff are listening to news or music all day.  Many places
have a policy but few actually enforce it when it comes down to it.
However, you know much better than we do what your particular comany
will let you get away with.

To answer your question, although you don't need it anymore, I usually
recommend "Advanced Port Scanner" to network newbs who just want to
find a free port to make something work.  It's not near as advanced as
it says but it's easy to use and describes some of the more common port
uses which helps you to understand what else is going on on a given
port.

For instance, someone mentioned just map your server to use port 80
because it's used for web and it's always open.  However, your PC is
already being slowed down when you browse the web but do you also want
your SW server and client  to have to deal with all your web traffic
directly pumped into it too?

Again, Sorry, way too much information.

Irregardless, you know better than us what you can get away with.

--
Murph