All I can say is that what I have heard from others does largely match
my own experience. Yes, you do need the same technology to be
implemented on both devices to reap the full benefits.

I recently 'upgraded' from a Speedtouch 802.11G wireless router to a
Netgear draft 'N' MIMO router & matching wireless adapter. The aim was
to improve the signal that my son's PC (which is situated a good
distance from the router) receives. Out of interest I initially just
substituted in the new router and although everything seemed to work
fine it was not noticeably better than before. But, after adding in the
matching draft 'N' USB wireless adapter, the signal increased from
dramatically, from approx 50% to a very healthy 90 to 100%.

Although I hoped my SB3 connectivity would benefit too, I can't really
say it has made a big difference. Oddly, the signal strength when the
SB3 is idle actually reports as being slightly lower than it was with
my previous router, but the level seems to increase as soon as
streaming begins. Part of how MIMO works maybe?

However, (and I'd need to perform a few more tests before I could say
this with 100% confidence), my SB3 does seem to fair somewhat better in
the Slimserver network tests. previously it would not reach 100% on the
3000kbps test, whereas it does now.

--
david68