JSharp;237430 Wrote:
> Mark,
> I want the sound quality to be as good as or nearly as good as putting
> the CD in the audio system's CD player, which is why I assumed a long
> cable from the sound card to the RCA jacks on the back of the receiver
> was not the solution. So I do want very good sound quality.

You will probably get better sound quality if you have a digital out
(optical or coax) from the computer soundcard and a digital in at the
audio system.  The Squeezebox will still be better, you have to get a
pretty good soundcard to beat it.  A computer's internals are
electrically very noisy, you have to have fairly careful (read:
expensive) design to overcome it.  Companies like M-Audio (Audiophile
or Delta series) or EMU, I believe I've heard of others.

> Do you know of anyone that makes something as good as Squeezebox but
> doesn't commit the buyer to using the software that comes with it?

Uhh, if I did, I probably wouldn't be here.  ;-)  Seriously, what's
wrong with SlimServer?  You just don't like it or you think it won't
work with yours?

Rather than giving up on it, have you tried the beta 7.0 version?
There's a lot to like about it, there are many improvements.

> I had originally thought that Squeezebox simply included cataloging
> software as an option for those who didn't have anything else, much as
> CD burner drivers come from companies with add-on software that will do
> all sorts of things you can do with other software if you prefer.

No, it does much more than that.  It actually powers the Squeezebox -
it generates its screen, it interprets its IR commands, it retrieves
files for the SB.  Without SlimServer, there is no SB.  It's much more
than cataloguing software, and in fact that isn't really what SS does.

> Why would Squeezebox make hardware that excludes a customer base that
> already has software for cataloging music?

Because as I said above, SlimServer isn't really cataloguing software.
It's meant to work alongside your software.  However if your software is
maintaining a database of all your music data and it hasn't added any
tags to your music files, then it's, brutally and simply put, a bad
program!  No other solution will work with it either.  Tags are made
specifically for this reason - to be portable across many applications
that need that data, and any program that selfishly maintains its own
database while not maintaining any tags is doing you a great
disservice.

Also note Logitech isn't alone in this approach - without iTunes, the
Apple Airport Express' music functions are useless.

--
Mark Lanctot

'Sean Adams' Response-O-Matic checklist, patent pending!'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showpost.php?p=200910&postcount=2)