Brian Ritchie wrote:
> So, where am I going wrong? Is the number 99 sacrosanct in some secret
> way?  Maybe power cycling the whole house isn't so far off?

My solution to the world of problems is to install a DHCP server on a
random computer in the house, wire the MAC addresses to fixed IP
addresses, and turn off the router's DHCP server. This lets you control
which box gets which IP address. You can even run bind/named locally,
and resolve names to the now fixed IP addresses.

There is a bit of a chicken and egg problem here, you have to make the
DHCP server have a fixed IP address. I bet really smart people can make
this all work with Windows, its fairly easy with any Linux distro, I did
it first with mandriva, then Ubuntu and now pure debian.

Some routers let you assign fixed IP addresses to specific MAC
addresses, so if you have one of them, you don't need the Linux server.
Of course, SlimServer/SlimCenter runs great on wimpy boxes that can't
run modern Windows, so you can move everything to one server.

--
Pat Farrell
http://www.pfarrell.com/