ralphpnj;248496 Wrote:
> First of all I apologize if this topic has been dealt with before but
> whenever I try to do a forum search for more than one keyword at a
> time, e.g. for the phase "large music library", the search feature does
> not work correctly. Therefore I feel compelled to start a new thread.
>
> So...
> First, my setup:
>
> I'm running Slimsever version 6.5.4 on a Dell Dimension 4600 with an
> Intel Pentium processor rated 2.40GHz, 1 GB of RAM and Windows XP with
> service pack 2.
>
> My music library consists of four external USB hard drives: two 320GB
> drives, one 500GB drive and one 1TB drive. The main music folder is on
> one of the 320GB drives with shortcuts pointing to the other three
> drives. I do not use iTunes.
>
> The format for my music library is rather simple and consists of a
> separate folder for each "album" with multi-disc albums treated as one
> entry. Each external hard drive has a main music folder with subfolders
> for "jazz", "rock", "classical", etc. Within each of these subfolders is
> where I place each separate album folder. The vast majority of the music
> is stored as either flac or ape files.
>
> My libray stats are approximately 3500 albums, 2500 artists and 93,000
> songs.
>
> I am currently using two Squeezeboxes and one Transporter, all
> connected to my server wirelessly via a Linksys router. The server (my
> PC) is wired to the Linksys router.

I had virtually the same setup down the the model of Dell PC!  I have 2
squeezeboxes.  My hard discs are internal though - no external USB
drives.

My library is about half the size of yours and is LAME mp3.

Originally I was using Windows XP SP2 to run slimserver.  I experienced
sluggishnes in the UI and the library scan would take a long time (~30
min. if I recall correctly).  I would experience things where I'd press
a button and 3 seconds later it would respond.  Then it would behave
correctly.

The UI issues were infrequent enough that I was more concerned about
the library rescan issue.  Since I regularly add music and perform
rescans, this was a real issue for me.

I had read in the Linux forums here that running the server on Linux
made a big difference.  So, I purchased a refurb Dell from Dell for
$200.  It has basically the same specs that you describe.  I loaded up
Open SUSE 10.2.  I haven't looked back!  The UI is MUCH snappier and
consistent and my library rescans take <10min.

Another option is SlimNAS which is a packaging of SlimServer that will
run on FreeNAS.  Search for FreeNAS in these forums and you will find
a link to it.

SlimNAS has the advantage of being able to run from a USB stick, so you
can experiment with it without having to install a new OS on your hard
disc.

Just some ideas to explore...

--
maggior