No, what Phil is saying is why do:
./Music/Alison Kraus/Down From the Mountain/track

repeated for each artist..

When:
/Music/Various/Down from the Mountain/track

works fine and makes Browse Music Folder make more sense... I tend to
think of albums, instead of "a track from that artist, and one from
this, and one over there"

Filing each track into the artist, even into a subdirectory for the
album seems... odd.

If you group the whole album into a single directory, it just works...
and makes more sense to me anyway.  This is especially useful if you
have some odd works like State of the Union with 150 or something
tracks on 2 cds, all by different artists... I would hate to spread
that into 150 directories.

The tags dont have to match the directory structure... you can still
have Alison listed as track artist.  Or on things like a Tribute album
you can have the albumartist set to whoever the tribute is "to"  and
the track artist set to the performer.

--
snarlydwarf