 From: a l <leit...@gmail.com>
To: Chris Faircloth <cnf2...@sbcglobal.net>; SYN/HAK discussion list
<discuss@synhak.org>
Sent: Thursday, October 24, 2013 7:59 PM
Subject: Re: [SH-Discuss] Subject: Re: Adafruit reseller status

Thanks for the offer! I'd definitely be interested in hearing about your tax
exempt experiences. I think for  a significant portion of that +year we were in
line to be reviewed now that  we have a case reviewer i hope/expect things to
move along.
The other issue with our file is hacker spaces are a relatively new phenomenon,
some go for 501c7\9 status and others, like us, go for 501c3. A you're aware
this requires us to prove our educational intentions and organization. The
original application didn't make this case as clearly as the IRS wanted.
Hopefully now that they have some examples of our lesson plans, clarification
on structure, and bibliographies for our reference library they'll be content.
As far as having a retail front, this is allowed for out tax exemption under
the unrelated business income clause; income not essential to the
accomplishment of our goal.  If i remember to tonight I'll send our response to
the IRS out to the discuss list once I'm on a real computer (phone currently).
There's a version already out there but i changed a few things before mailing
it in.
Thanks for your time,
Andrew
SynHak secretary
On Oct 24, 2013 12:16 AM, "Chris Faircloth" <cnf2...@sbcglobal.net> wrote:

Hey guys,

>My name is Chris Faircloth... I know none of you know who I am as I just
>recently stopped in (finally) to check things out.  I like what you've got
>going.
>

>Chris and Devin mentioned you guys had been dealing with the 501c3 process for
>a while but seem to be getting close(r) to getting approval.  I was reading
>the message about the concern with selling anything through the group - I
>would say if you have an avenue to do so, that's a great way to raise funds
>for the operation and pretty common among a variety of non-profits.  I have
>been involved with a couple of neighborhood organizations that are 501c3 and
>selling merchandise has been a great fundraising avenue for them.
>

>That being said, I checked in with some of the guys that are on the board of
>the Highland Square Neighborhood Association who themselves were approved as a
>501c3 not that long ago, and they said they would be glad to come and talk to
>you guys about the process and answer any questions that you may have.  If any
>of you have been to Art In the Square or Porchrokr in Highland Square you may
>have noticed they are pretty big on merchandise sales and were able to
>navigate that part of the 501c3 application process successfully.  IIRC Chris
>said your application has been in process for about a year; by comparison they
>were able to get from application to approval in about 4 months so I guess
>they did pretty well navigating the minefields of the non-profit approval
>process.  :)
>

>They are really nice, approachable people and may also be a good connection to
>have in general.
>

>If you think it would be beneficial to speak with them let me know a few
>days/times that would be convenient and I'll work it out for you.
>

>Thanks,
>

>Chris
>

>________________________________

 [SH-Discuss] Adafruit reseller status.

>> I understand the intent of the reseller status. All I said is it's going to
>> complicate things. Reseller == Retailer in the eyes of the IRS. And
>> "turning a profit" is exactly what we're doing. We(SynHak Inc.) are buying
>> goods at one price, selling them at a higher price and keeping the
>> diffference. Just because we don't necessarily keep a stock of arduinos
>> around doesn't change the fact that SynHak Inc. are profiting from the
>> sales of goods.
>> By reselling things we have one more test to pass in order to get our
>> 501(c)(3) status. When this goes on our application we
 now have to prove

 <just...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> We are not listed as a retailer but we get retailer pricing. We are listed
>>> as a hackerspace.

 others run their adafruit reseller status is as an

 with IRS paperwork, please cite any feedback

 nice

 location.