Dan Kegel wrote:
Beware.  I did package up these toolchains as RPM files, and
the resulting packages were so large they took 15 minutes to
install.  Unpacking a .tgz, by comparison, took about 5 minutes.
Maybe rpm is more optimized by now.  If not, this is probably
an easy performance bug to fix.

I remember now: the 15 minute RPM was a worst case, where I had three different toolchains (gcc/glibc/etc) and three copies of the Linux source tree (!) all in the same RPM. An RPM containing a simple toolchain would probably take no more than a minute to install. - Dan

--
My technical stuff: http://kegel.com