Hi,

Sorry I missed this thread!

Adam is (or is planning..) writing a DB backend that includes MySQL and
> MariaDB

Not technically, I'm actually writing a backend to use the newer MySQL
DBAPI library pymysql at
https://github.com/adamchainz/django-pymysql-backend . For the first pass
at least it won't do anything differently on MariaDB. I haven't worked on
it since before DUTH unfortunately :(

As for whether Django core should have a support policy for MariaDB, I
think it definitely should do. I also think it's probably best if it's done
with switches *inside* the MySQL backend, rather than as a separate
backend. Now here's why:

   1. MariaDB *is* MySQL on some Linux distros, e.g. Red Hat. When you
   install the mysql package, you get MariaDB. These are listed
   at https://mariadb.com/kb/en/mariadb/distributions-which-include-mariadb/ .
   Thus some users don't even know they're using MariaDB instead of MySQL.
   2. MariaDB may have a smaller user base at current, but it's growing
   pretty quickly compared to MySQL (though I guess it's hard to grow when
   you're so popular).
   See http://db-engines.com/en/ranking_trend/system/MariaDB
   versus http://db-engines.com/en/ranking_trend/system/MySQL .
   3. The policy of creating one tool that works on both MySQL + MariaDB,
   with detection for which it is, is pretty much the standard practice in the
   community, e.g. this line in the popular mydumper
   utility:
https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~max-bubenick/mydumper/0.9/view/head:/mydumper.c#L334
   4. I don't expect there too be too many MariaDB specific checks in
   Django, since MariaDB still keeps MySQL compatibility. The TEXT / BLOB
   column defaults ( https://code.djangoproject.com/ticket/27676 ) are one
   example of a relatively small change.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/3451d7ea-457d-48b8-8575-87caed2d2051%40googlegroups.com.