OK, I was confused about why Django still needs usernames in its
database even though LDAP is the new authentication method.  I thought
it would require authenticating via LDAP, then checking for the user
_and_ pass in Django's database.  I didn't realize that I will only
have to copy the username (not the password), and that authentication
does not need to occur a second time against the Django user list.  It
looks like I'll be able to convince the man in charge that Django is a
great framework choice for our needs.

Thanks to all for the feedback!