On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 04:51 +0000, qhfgva wrote:
> Class Foo(Model):
>     blah = CharField(maxlength=20)
>     bar  = ForeignKey(Qwerty) # requred field
>     baz = CharField(maxlength=20, null=False)
>
> In the above class I'd like to make baz a required field if bar is of a
> certain value otherwise it can be blank.  If there a way to accomplish
> this?

This is fairly simple. You add an extra validator to each of the fields
you care about and then write a validator that does the checking you
want. The validators will receive the value for the field in question
and a dictionary of all the values for all the fields. So a validator
for baz can easily check that the new value is constrained by the value
for bar.

More concretely, have a look at the validator_list parameter in the
models documentation

http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/model_api/#validator-list

and then the validator documentation (which is linked from the above
section as well, so it's fairly self-explanatory):

http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/forms/#validators

Regards,
Malcolm