i tried that too...  doesn't seem to be working
moreover i need to add that from the google searching that i did i
come to know that all cpanel accounts are smtp- authenticated!
but still i don't know what the problem is....

moreover i was getting proper debug tracebacks to my mail upto few
months back, and then i dint do much with the server.. now as i try to
change stuff, i want the tracebacks but sadly mailer doesn't work! :(