Sorry if this is obvious and you're looking for a more direct way, but If
it's only the formset save that fails, I would suggest:

instances = formset.save(commit=False)
for instance in instances:
    instance.save(using=database)

I have never used multiple databases though, so I don't know if that works
or if there is a better method.

- Paulo