On 8/4/2010 10:52 AM, Dan Gentry wrote:
> When I attempt to use the decorator logic, the view becomes this:
>
> views.py
> @institution_required
> def list_type(request):
>
>     inst_id=request.session.get('inst_id',None)
>
>     queryset = RecordType.objects.filter(institution=inst_id)
>     return object_list(request, queryset, paginate_by = 12)
>
> I don't make any changes to urls.py, but the error is
> "TemplateSyntaxError at /index
> Caught ImproperlyConfigured while rendering: The included urlconf
> person.urls doesn't have any patterns in it"
> However, when I take out the decorator, all of the urls work as
> expected.
>
> urls.py does import * from views.py

Your decorator takes two arguments - its signature is

  institution_required(fn, redirect_field_name=REDIRECT_FIELD_NAME)

But the decorator mechanism only allows you to specify one argument (the
decorated function). There is no way to specify anything OTHER than the
default value for the redirect_field_name argument ...

Therefore if you want to use decorators for this application you will
have to write something more complex still: a function that takes a
single redirect_field_name argument and /returns a decorator/ that can
be applied to views. Then you would call it as

@institution_required("Some_field_name")
def list_type(request):

Your call to institution_required should return a decorator. That takes
the decorated function as its single argument and returns the decorated
function. This is getting a little complex for a beginner.

regards
 Steve
--
I'm no expert.
"ex" == "has-been"; "spurt" == "drip under pressure"