On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 11:51 PM, bfrederi <brfrederi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I just wanted to know if anyone had an opinion or whether running a
> django-admin.py cleanup on 40 million session rows might slow down or
> lock up the database. I would like to do this cleanup ASAP, but I was
> concerned it might cause some issues.

It depends entirely on your database. If you're using MySQL with
MyISAM tables, then almost certainly yes due to the table-level
locking. Other databases may be affected for different reasons.

If you're trying to evaluate the risk, the cleanup command executes
the following:

Session.objects.filter(expire_date__lt=datetime.datetime.now()).delete()

Which is the SQL equivalent of:

DELETE FROM django_session WHERE expire_date > '2010-01-01 1:23:45';

inside a the default transaction mode for your database. You'll have
to consult your database documentation to establish whether that will
pose a locking risk.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)