On Mon, 2006-07-24 at 06:30 -0700, sean wrote:
> Thanks for the reply.
> That solution would involve the object_detail view for the folder,
> right?
> I am currently using that one, but pagination would be nice to use on
> the media list, so I would rather get the object_list working.

In the object_list view, you are given an "object_list" parameter, which
is a list of all the objects for that page. To display them, you will be
doing something like

        {% for folder in object_list %}

to iterate over that list. Inside that loop, you should then be able to
do

        {% for media in folder.media_set.all %}

and so on.

> I don't think I completely understand the queryset parameter. In themeda
> tutorial the info_dict is built with something like
> Polls.objects.all(). Is this query ever evaluated, because it would
> seem a waste of ressources to select all objects just to get the
> object_detail view to work?

QuerySets are lazy. Since pagination only wants, say, 10 items, it will
end up running "queryset[:10]" and only when the results are needed will
the query be turned into SQL and run. In this case, that will convert it
into a query involving a LIMIT clause, so you don't end up selecting
every single result; just the ones you need.

Am I making any of this clearer? Or just confusing things further? It's
always a bit difficult to know how much detail to put into these
postings, so let me know if I've put too little in this case.

Regards,
Malcolm