Todd O'Bryan wrote:
> Part of my webapp will include a place for users to upload files that
> they can save on the server. I teach high school, and this is mostly
> designed as a way for students to quickly upload files so that they
> can transfer them from home to school and vice versa.
>
> What I don't understand is how, if the files are saved in the local
> filesystem and served by Apache, how do I control access to the files
> so that only users who should be able to access them can? In other
> words, Bobby uploads a file which I save to the server's filesystem.
> Bobby should then be able to get access to the file, and since I give
> a link to the URL, sure enough, he can. But what's to stop Susie from
> figuring out the URL and requesting the same file?
>
> Am I just missing something basic here?

Groups. If Bobby and Suzie can't see each others files, give them a
group each. Make it so each group is bound to a folder; configure apache
as follows:

http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/apache_auth/

using DjangoPermissionName to allocate/fake a group. Don't use an apache
.group file or you'll have to manage perms in 2 places.

cheers
Bill