Hi Jon,

On 8/15/06, Jon Atkinson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
[snip]
> I've just tried removing the regular expression - so the line looks like:
>
> (r'^/?(?P<feedtype>\w+)/$',
> 'django.views.generic.list_detail.object_list', {'queryset':
> Item.objects.filter(feed__feedtype__feedtype__iexact=feedtype).order_by('-time'),
> 'paginate_by': 15, 'extra_context': {'is_first_page': True}}),
>
> And oddly enough I'm getting exactly the same error; is there another
> problem with this statement which I'm not seeing? It seems there is a
> problem with variable from the url expression being passed to the view
> function - is this a common problem?

I think you've just identified the problem! Unfortunately, this means
that you're going to need a custom view for this object list.

What's lacking in the generic object list is a "slugfield" similar to
what's found in generic object detail. If that existed, you'd be able
to do something like this:

(r'^/?(?P<filter>\w+)/$',
 'django.views.generic.list_detail.object_list',
 {'queryset': Item.objects.all().order_by('-time'),
 'filter_field':'feed__feedtype__feedtype__iexact',
 'paginate_by': 15 }),

Django would then substitute the captured "filter" variable into the
query-set like this:

Item.objects.all().order_by('-time').filter(
feed__feedtype__feedtype__iexact = captured_value )

I think it's worth raising a feature request in the Django Trac for
this functionality. I can imagine that this would be very useful to a
lot of people in the future.

Michael