I'm fairly new to django, still getting my feet wet. I want to have a
dropdown menu (django seems to call this a select box). I read this:

https://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/models/fields/#django.db.models.Field.choices

So I did this:

class EventsTable(models.Model):
    EVENT_TYPE_CHOICES = (
        ('Event Created', 'EventCreated'),
        ('Event Changed', 'EventChanged'),
    )

    message = models.CharField("Event Type", max_length=12,
choices=EVENT_TYPE_CHOICES)

But I get a standard text entry field where I can type in anything.

I did more googling, and I read a lot of confusing stuff about having
to use javascrpt, ajax, CSS, etc. I read some pages about using a
ChoiceField, but that is not part of the model class (it's in the
forms class). I'm not sure how that would be used with a class that
inherits form models.

What am I missing here? I can't imagine something as common as this
would be hard in django. Shouldn't the first thing I did work?

TIA!
-larry