On Tue, Feb 21, 2012 at 12:18 PM, Daniel Marquez <
daniel.marquez0...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Wow, I should've caught that. Thanks guys. However, since I needed a
> string, what I did was add "default=x" to the integer field as
> follows:
>
> class Phone(models.Model):
>        phonenumber = models.IntegerField(default=10)
>        pub_date = models.DateTimeField('date published')
>        def __unicode__(self):
>                return self.phonenumber
>
> and it worked.

As mentioned earlier, your phone number field should not be an integer.
Among other reasons, using a string allows you to validate for different
countries, have extensions, and more easily manipulate and display the
value everywhere you use it (you're never going to use it *as* an integer,
after all).

Also, setting an integer field to have a default value other than zero
smells really bad.

Shawn