I hope this is OK to talk Javascript in this Django group, I'm hoping its
relevant to enough Django folks to not be distracting.
I'm relatively new to Django, but my impression is that a few years ago
most django people prescribed to the wisdom of keeping javascript to a
minimum and just using simple JQuery to do simple tasks. Now I think heavy
Javascript usage is more of reality especially with the shift to more
mobile web apps, and that the Javascript community is stepping up and
providing some nice frameworks that can make django people feel a little
more at home using javascript, more high level frameworks that use MVC
architecture. I'm starting a few projects where I'll want to essentially
mirror my django models on the front end to allow editing with out page
refreshes, front end form validation, and switching between views that are
downloaded in one request but displayed only according to the state of the
front end javascript view state. I want nice seemless AJAX communcation
between the front and back end. I'm aware of a few Javascript libraries
that are focused around these things and improving javascript web app
development in general. KnockOutJS caught my eye at first and I did some
work with that. I found some things worked really fast and really easy, but
then once I tried more complex things I saw what I think where limitations
in its extensibility. Since I'm pretty inexperienced with it, I'm not sure
if this was my lack of experience or deficiencies in the framework. Then I
found out about Ember,js and it seemed to me like a more complete framework
( it tagline is 'Ambitious Web Apps' ) that could probably handle almost
any situation that I would use it for, although for simple views it
required a tad more code to be written than KnockOutJS. My first experience
with Ember last weekend was pretty frustrating, working off what looks like
the only example in the docs and finding myself buried in errors that were
entirely foreign to me. This may be beginners luck but I also heard someone
more experienced express frustration with the learning curve and lack of
examples in the docs. I've just become aware of a number of Javascript
libraries that seem to do related things that will be useful for my needs
above. AngularJS I think is gaining popularity quickly and seems to be
selling itself as a simple solution that can be extended in any variety of
ways ( much like django ). I tend to feel good about trusting Google but I
wonder if what I think is a more structured approach in Ember js is a wiser
choice for me. I've also read about Spine, which describes itself as a
simple lightweight MVC framework. Backbone is apparently a library entirely
concerned with front end data models but not databinding or routing. I
found a library called Batman intended for Rails but since a Google search
for django and batman is all about movies and not programming I'm guessing
no one has adapted this JS lib for django. All of what I'm writing is not
based on expertise or experience, what I'm really hoping for is some hints
from django people about what they use or what the pros and cons of the
different options for javascript frameworks are, and to encourage
discussion about this that might be useful to a lot of django people
looking to bridge the front end with backend. Feel free to stretch the
boundaries of my questions if you even think I've given any clear
boundaries, assume that you know more than I, and if you're wrong, no
worries, this discussion is as much for your education as it is for mine.