These are my current settings:

STATIC_ROOT = ''
STATIC_URL = '/static/'
STATICFILES_DIRS = (
    'absolute-path-to-static-dir'
)

Then I am accessing these files on my template by using {{STATIC_URL}}
which works fine. But when I update any of the files, the changes do not
show.
How would you use collectstatic in this case? When I use it, it copies all
the static files in the static dir to one of my base folders of my project.
Do I have to set STATIC_ROOT to the same directory as my staticfiles_dir?