Running Django in a virtualenv, have another instance of Django
installed system-wide on the system

When upgrading the virtualenv Django using 'pip install -U', I see
that the old version is uninstalled and the new version installed. At
the end of the upgrade, the package reports having been installed over
the top of a previous installation. The path to the previous
installation shows up as the installation of the system-wide Django.

[...]
Installing collected packages: Django
  Found existing installation: Django 1.4.5
    Uninstalling Django:
      Successfully uninstalled Django
  Running setup.py install for Django
    changing mode of build/scripts-2.7/django-admin.py from 644 to 755

    warning: no previously-included files matching '__pycache__' found
under directory '*'
    warning: no previously-included files matching '*.py[co]' found
under directory '*'
    changing mode of
/home/dspruell/venv.d/django-home/bin/django-admin.py to 755

    ========
    WARNING!
    ========

    You have just installed Django over top of an existing
    installation, without removing it first. Because of this,
    your install may now include extraneous files from a
    previous version that have since been removed from
    Django. This is known to cause a variety of problems. You
    should manually remove the

    /usr/local/lib/python2.7/site-packages/django

    directory and re-install Django.

Successfully installed Django
Cleaning up...

Is this an expected warning when upgrading Django via pip? And any
reason I'd be seeing references to the system-wide install (outside of
virtualenv) when I'm doing this upgrade within an active virtualenv?

--
Darren Spruell
phatbuck...@gmail.com