I've pretty much butchered the code for 3 days now and cannot figure out
how to insert an inline formset. Can anybody help me?

I've tried to pare everything down to use two simple Models just to try to
get an insert. I'm using django Author - Book relationship to keep it
simple.

class Author(models.Model):
    name = models.CharField(max_length=100)

    def __unicode__(self):              # __unicode__ on Python 2
        return self.name

class Book(models.Model):
    name = models.CharField(max_length=100)
    author = models.ForeignKey(Author)

So I have a page where you can insert and author. The author page takes you
to a page to insert books for that author using an inline formset of 3
books.

In my urls.py I have this url url(r'^book_create/(?P<author_id>\d+)/$',
BookCreate.as_view(), name='book_create'),

When you go to book_create I can see the author_id getting passed in the
kwargs. Now how to I insert from there books into the db with the Foreign
Key to that author passed in the kwargs?

After banging away for so long, I decided to try to switch to django extra
views. this is what I have in my views.py

class BookCreate(InlineFormSetView):
    model = Author
    inline_model = Book
    form_class = BookForm
    extra = 3
    template_name = 'book_template.html'

    def get_queryset(self):
        slug = self.kwargs['author_id']
        return super(BookCreate, self).get_queryset().filter(id=slug)

When I go to the book_create page I get this error:

Generic detail view BookCreate must be called with either an object pk or a
slug.

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/df120546-0931-4b17-93e1-70ba884e62f5%40googlegroups.com.