Hi all,

I have a question about best practices with storing strings in an Oracle
DB. I've grown accustomed to using TextFields wherever possible, as I
mainly work in Postgres and this seems to be recommended:

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/7354588/django-charfield-vs-textfield

However, I'm trying to migrate a project to Oracle and finding that my
TextFields are now being stored as CLOBs. This is not really ideal, as I
can't use them (easily) in SQL queries and it just seems like overkill for
short, variable-length strings. If I weren't using Django I would store
these as varchars, and I guess I could make them all CharFields, but I hate
to have my models be so closely coupled to the DB.

Has anyone else come up with a more elegant solution for this? Would
CharField(max_length=255) be a good compromise?

Thanks!

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-users/b279f66f-a55f-4d23-b147-0b945b41df20%40googlegroups.com.