On Nov 7, 2:53 am, "Oliver Lavery" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I'm a little fuzzy on django's execution order, though. What would be the
> safest place to do this? Initialization code in the model module seems like
> the most obvious choice, but I'm a bit uncomfortable being in the dark as to
> how django initializes within mod_python. Where's the best spot for app
> initialization and teardown code?

Make yourself a build & deploy script that tries to target a "build in
1 step".
Where i work we have something we call db kits, basically we store the
dump of the database schema + all the stored procedures, etc... in the
versioning system. Then there's a script that collects them and applies
them to the database. There's still someone that has to copy the code
from the repository and build it with nant and configure it, etc...

For my own projects i was thinking about doing the same thing as a db
kit in a database agnostic way, probably using SQLAlchemy.

Also something like WAF[1] may be of help in a non .NET world to help
automatize some tasks.

The bottom line is building an installer for your stuff. I believe
that's something that software like Capistrano tries to solve.

Lorenzo
--
[1] http://freehackers.org/~tnagy/bksys.html