Thank you very much for your help.  I should be able to modify this to
suit my needs perfectly.  I'm kind of surprised that I didn't find
mention of the 'raw_id_admin' in my previous searches - is it
relatively new?  I see that it has been involved in some active
development in the Django source code recently.

It's too bad that features like these aren't very well (or at all?)
documented on the Django site.

Thanks again!
Christian