You'll want to look into the save and delete hooks functionality here:
http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/models/save_delete_hooks/

What it would look like is add to Publications:

   def save(self):
      super(Publications, self).save() # Call the "real" save() method
      customer_list = Subscriber.objects.filter(criteria)

etc.  I'm not personally familiar with the send_mass_mail ability but you'll
be able to integrate it into the above.

Adam