radioflyer wrote:
> ...I'm new to Python and still thinking like a PHP user I'm afraid...
>
> I've found a number of posts about dumping debug info to a template,
> but I'm still a little confused. Maybe  I don't understand the nature
> of the 'context' returned from my view.
>
> If I have this view:
> def album(request, album_id):
>       a = Album.objects.get(id=album_id)
>       return render_to_response('fc/album.html', {'album': a})
>
> {% debug %} outputs Album.self, something like:
>
> <pre>
> {'album': <Album: Youngbloods>}
> ...the rest...
> </pre>
>
> I was expecting something to the effect:
> album.label:
> album.catalog_number:
> album.recording_date: etc.
>
> Those values are available. (The template is displaying them
> correctly.) I just thought I would be able to see the context variable
> values dumped out. Especially related values if I had requested them in
> the view.

You *are* seeing the context variable values :).  The distinction here
is that instead of 3 different variables (album.label,
album.catalog_number, etc) in the context, you're dealing with a single
object -- album -- that has a number of properties.  If you really
wanted to see that sort of information you'd need to pass it into your
template from the view as individual values (in the call to
render_to_response).

NRY