The version of MySql is 5.0.21. Using MySQl Query browser I can see that product_item.price is defined as DECIMAL(6,2).

I seem to recall running into this same issue using MySQL on Windows.
What version of MySQLdb are you using. If I'm remembering this
correctly, I was using an older version of MySQLdb which mapped DB
float/numeric fields to str and then I updated it and the newer version
mapped them correctly to Decimal.

Sorry I can't give you specific version numbers right now - I'd have to
dig around on my work machine.