Its not that use drf "over" django. Its like you use drf "with" django.
Whenever you want to create rest api, django rest framework is the library
created to do that more usually. Django on the other end is a framework to
create web application. There is never the case when you are using drf and
not django. However you can use django without drf even to create rest
apis. If there was something you would choose "over" django, it would be
flask. That is a reasonable comparision. Hope this helps.

Thanks and regards,
Shishir Jha