I figured it out. Before cloning the site I had upgraded from 3.1 to 3.2.
After the upgrade I had stopped and restarted nginx, but I had not bounced
the uwsgi daemon which was caching the older version of Django (not the
first time I've been bitten by that, so shame on me, I have no excuse 😂).
Once I did that, the behavior of the original server mirrored that of the
cloned test server.

So somewhere between 3.1 and 3.2 the was a behavior change which added the
display of a subtitle where there had been none before. Oddly, I went
through every page of release notes between 3.1.0 and 3.2.0 and the string
"subtitle" doesn't appear on any of those pages. If there was a mention of
this very visible, non-trivial change using other wording, I missed it. So
now I'm off to figure out the best way to suppress this new subtitle.
Ideally there's a configuration setting which will do the trick, but I
looked at the code and the docs and nothing jumped out at me, so it looks
as if I'll just have to add some custom CSS.