On Feb 28, 5:56 am, "MattW" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> The change from dev to production seems like it might be a pain.

I agree somewhat. Speaking as a person transitioning from Tomcat to
Django. Dealing with static files is one of the things about Django
that
does take some getting used to. I have it mostly figured out now but

Being curious to see how the experts handle this issue, I looked at
the
Cheeserater example source code.

Firstly, he uses this code in urls.py:

if settings.DEBUG:
    urlpatterns += patterns('',
        (r'^m/(?P<path>.*)$', serve, {'document_root' :
Path(__file__).parent.child("media")})
    )

No problems here. Makes perfect sense.

But when I took a look at the base template, a bit of ugliness reveals
itself:

<head>
charset=utf-8">
        <link rel="stylesheet" href="http://media.jacobian.org/
cheeserater/reset.css" type="text/css">
        <link rel="stylesheet" href="http://media.jacobian.org/
cheeserater/cheeserater.css" type="text/css">

Note the fixed URL for the link to the CSS. In the author's case, he
seems to be fortunate that
the URLs for the media are the same in both production and development
environments.
In general however, the URLs may have to be modified - although this
ought to be easy since
this is within a template.

Rangachari Anand