Hello David,

I was not able to reproduce the error on any Linux, Windows or Solaris
machines so I created a vmware image from scratch using the software
versions you specified. The following are steps I took to recreate
your problem.

[Installation for setting up Whitebox Linux 3.0 with geodjango]

Download the liberation-respin3-binary-i386-1.iso.
wget
http://www.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/whitebox/3.0/en/iso/i386/liberation-respin3-binary-i386-1.iso

With VMWare Workstation create a Redhat Enterprise 3 template, mount
the iso you just downloaded.

Do a minimal install.

Logged into the machine as root.

# changed /etc/yum.conf to point to georgia tech only (the others are
slow or broken)

[base]
name=White Box Enterprise Linux $releasever - $basearch - Base
baseurl=http://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/whitebox/$releasever/en/os/
$basearch/

[updates-released]
name=White Box Enterprise Linux $releasever - $basearch - Released
Updates
baseurl= ftp://ftp.gtlib.gatech.edu/pub/whitebox/$releasever/en/updates/

# update and install some packages
yum update
yum upgrade

yum install gcc
yum install readline-devel
yum install glibc-utils
yum install gcc-c++
yum install zlib-devel
yum install flex
yum install screen
yum install lynx
yum install bzip2-devel

# add a user
adduser geo
su - geo

# edit the .bashrc and add this
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/home/geo/local/lib
export PATH=/home/geo/local/bin:$PATH
export GDAL_DATA=home/geo/local/share

# download and install programs
cd
mkdir install
cd install

wget http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.4.2/Python-2.4.2.tar.bz2
tar xjvf Python-2.4.2.tar.bz2
cd Python-2.4.2
./configure --prefix=/home/geo/local
make
make install

cd ~/install

wget http://ipython.scipy.org/dist/ipython-0.8.2.tar.gz
tar xzvf ipython-0.8.2.tar.gz
cd ipython-0.8.2
python setup.py build
python setup.py install

cd ~/install
wget ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/proj/proj-4.6.0.tar.gz
tar xzvf proj-4.6.0.tar.gz
cd proj-4.6.0/nad
wget ftp://ftp.remotesensing.org/proj/proj-datumgrid-1.3.tar.gz
tar xzvf proj-datumgrid-1.3.tar.gz
cd ..
./configure --prefix=/home/geo/local
make
make install

cd ~/install
wget http://geos.refractions.net/downloads/geos-3.0.0.tar.bz2
tar xjvf geos-3.0.0.tar.bz2
cd geos-3.0.0
./configure --prefix=/home/geo/local
make
make install

wget http://download.osgeo.org/gdal/gdal-1.5.0.tar.gz
tar xzvf gdal-1.5.0.tar.gz
cd gdal-1.5.0
./configure --prefix=/home/geo/local --with-geos
make
make install

wget "http://wwwmaster.postgresql.org/redir?
setmir=198&typ=h&url=http://ftp9.us.postgresql.org/pub/mirrors/
postgresql//source/v8.2.4/postgresql-8.2.4.tar.bz2"
tar xjvf postgresql-8.2.4.tar.bz2
cd postgresql-8.2.4
./configure --prefix=/home/geo/local
make
make install

cd ~/install
wget http://postgis.refractions.net/download/postgis-1.3.2.tar.gz
tar xzvf postgis-1.3.2.tar.gz
./configure --prefix=/home/geo/local
make
make install

cd ~/install
wget http://internap.dl.sourceforge.net/sourceforge/ctypes/ctypes-1.0.2.tar.gz
tar xzvf ctypes-1.0.2.tar.gz
cd ctypes-1.0.2
python setup.py build
python setup.py install

# finish setting up programs

It was difficult for me to use subversion on that system so I used
mercurial to get the django_gis source.

When I ran the tests I found a bug in driver.py (django/branches/gis/
django/contrib/gis/gdal/driver.py) which would not show up on other
types of system I tried.
On this system (Whitebox Linux 3.0), running register_all
(OGRRegisterAll) would return 0, and on others it would return a
random integer.
The code relied on the returned value to be non-zero which would fail
on this setup.

A fix would be to not rely on the value being returned from
"register_all".

I notified Justin and he was able to patch it. You can see it here at
http://code.djangoproject.com/changeset/7003.

Thanks for the detailed error messages and software versions.

Regards,
Travis