Malcolm, please accept my apologies for 1/2 of the problem described
in the original article. I, of all people (I wrote debuggers back in
the 80's), should know that you have to vet your diagnostic tools
before you depend on them.

Short version: The high cookie creation frequency was real (I'm going
to test 7001 tomorrow morning), but the multiple-session-cookies-for-
one-person was not.

On reflection, the multiple-sessions didn't make any sense because it
would have required the user (kristin in this case) to login 8 times
in one minute. That's not going to happen. In the view there was a
variable that was only set when the session variable _auth_user_id was
set. So all sessions from anonymous users looked like they belonged to
the most recent non-anonymous session. Doh.

So I conflated a real problem with a bug of my own.

Thanks for you quick response on the part of this that was real.