You can find the definition of those methods at:

/django/django/db/models/base.py:    def
_get_next_or_previous_by_FIELD(self, field, is_next, **kwargs):
/django/django/db/models/base.py:    def
_get_next_or_previous_in_order(self, is_next):

So, check on your django installation to see what they do.
However, note that methods starting with an underscore mean you
shouldn't be using them, they're for internal use.
See the source and use at you own will.

BTW - I don't know why those methods are for, and never used them nor
see their code (just grep`ed to find where they're defined).

[]'s

Rodolfo